Monday, October 10, 2005

Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of the Were-Rabbit

I'm a Wallace and Gromit fan from way back. Actually, I guess I'm also an Aardman fan dating back to when I saw Creature Comforts at an animation festival. Anyway, let's just say I'm a big fan.

I had been anticipating the release of this movie for years, ever since I first noticed it and bought up 50,000 shares on Hollywood Stock Exchange. I was a little worried that the slightly oddball subject of the movie might detract from it, after all, it's not often you see movies about cruelty-free lagomorph removal. But I needn't have worried.

Curse of the Were-Rabbit is delightfully funny. Special standout scenes and characters include the flying dogfight, the antics of the neighborhood rector, what Gromit does when he first gets a close-up view of the were-rabbit on a dark country road, and Wallace's decoy. Notice how I'm trying to avoid blatant spoilers here.

I think the movie actually gets off to a slow start but it's not long before it builds up steam in a properly hysterical way. There are plenty of wonderful jokes the just pop out at you in the visuals, something Nick Park proven pretty adept at in the past.

I give the movie an A-.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home