Monday, October 17, 2005

Scooby Doo

Bringing Scooby Doo from the cartoon to the silver screen seemed to me like a very bad idea and I fully expected it to be bad. In fact, I checked this out from the library to see if it really was as bad as everyone says it is. Well, it's bad, but I've seen worse. I was actually able to stomach this one all the way through, something I can't say for Batman and Robin (wherein AH-nold's acting is a bright spot in the movie in the role of Mr. Freeze) or Starsky and Hutch (which was just plain awkward rather than amusing).
The movie manages to capture some of the humor and feel of the original cartoons with Matthew Lillard doing a very impressive Shaggy impersonation. But much of the humor is kind of stilted and the movie breaks the convention (at least in the original cartoons) of the spooky stuff being verifiably unreal in the end. Among the funniest scenes are the true stories of what the gang has gone on to do since the acrimonious break up of the team and they ended up in the extras as deleted scenes.
I think the hands-down funniest moment is the Scrappy-Doo flashback.

Overall, I wouldn't give Scooby Doo a failing grade since it was watchable. I would, however, give it a D+ and probably hold it back for another year until it masters the material.

1 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you figured out what I was trying to say. I really do make sense in my head.

Everyone in my family disliked this movie, even those of us that like the cartoon. I agree with your D

Ticia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home